St James the Less, Litchfield

St James the Less is set in the hamlet of Litchfield, some four miles north of Whitchurch.

There has been a church on this site since the 12th Century. Parts of the present church are Norman, Transitional, 16th Century with restoration in 1874. The wooden screen is dated 1655 and the north aisle and the south porch were added in 1875. The lychgate was built in 1962.

There was a time when the A34 ran through the village and past the church. Now, however, the church is in a peaceful cul-de-sac.

There are two regular services each month, usually on the first (Holy Communion) and third (Morning Prayer) Sundays at 10.00 am, Sung Evensong on the fifth Sunday (when there is one) with additional services for festivals and Armistice Day.  We use the Book of Common Prayer, the King James Bible and Hymns Ancient and Modern New Standard. For details of the next services please look at What's On or visit A Church Near You.























Photos

St James the Less, Litchfield